Wednesday, September 3, 2014

THINGS I WISH I HAD AT HOME BEFORE GOING INTO LABOR

Lots of things I wish I knew and/or had at home before I went into labor...

- Muslin blankets. These are by far the best for swaddling. All of Desmond's receiving blankets and regular blankets are too chunky and thick and he broke out of all of them except the muslin blankets.

- More kimono style snap shirts. These are great for a couple reasons. 1. They don't rub against the umbilical cord. 2. Easy diaper access. 3. A lot of Desmond's newborn clothes and onesies were too big for him the first 2 weeks or so.

- At least 2 bottles of lanolin. I've gone through one in 3 weeks.

- Witch hazel pads/prep H wipes. You can ask your nurse at the hospital to stock you up before you go home. I sent my hubby out for more after a week and a half.

- Different sizes of pads. At first I was using the huge enormous maxi pads with wings, then before I could finish that pack I went to the regular sized pads, and before I finished that pack I went down to panty liners.

- Super large nursing bras. My boobs got HUGE, and still get huge right before pumping. I like the cotton ones from Target. You might want to invest in some nursing tanks to wear around the house too. Or just some easy access shirts and tanks. Taking your shirt off every 3 hours gets old, quick.

- Food. Hella food. I think we went to the store like 3 times the first 2 weeks we were home.

- More vaseline or petroleum jelly for Desmond's circumcision. We went through 2 tubes in less than a week!

- Several pairs of mittens. We had mittens on Desmond for a couple weeks before we could find the courage to clip his nails. His fingers got so sweaty in the mittens and his hands started to stink so I suggest lots of mittens to change out daily or sometimes twice a day if he ends up chewing his hands a lot.

- COFFEE for daddy since I'm still refraining from caffeine.

- Something for white noise. They have those machines for the nursery, but we just downloaded an app on our tablet and place that near his bassinet at night. "Shushing" gets tiring if you have to do it for 20 mins straight to get your babe to fall asleep. Careful not to have it too loud, too close, for too long. Studies have shown risks of hearing damage from loud white noise machines used for long periods of time. Studies suggest nothing louder than a quiet shower if your baby is fairly calm; only bring out the vacuum or the hair dryer for the first couple minutes to calm him/her down during a screamfest.

- This might be slightly over-the-top, but I've suggest stocking up on some stain remover. Between spit up, pee, and breast milk... my spot cleaner is a life saver!

- Ibuprofen. My doc sent me home with a prescription, but it was nice to have some laying around for when my prescription ran out. Swollen boobs. Swollen vagina. Enough said.

- Dr. Brown's bottles. I never thought I wouldn't be able to breastfeed (at least right off the bat), so having a back up plan (expressing breast milk and/or formula) is a good idea. These are the best for reducing colic, and look into the preemie nipples for the slowest flow for the first few weeks.

- You could never have enough TP.

**Did you have the same experiences?**



No comments:

Post a Comment